Certifications against ISO 9001 and 14001 are currently going through a transition to the updated 2015 versions of the standards. These extend several important management system concepts with emphasis on aligning management systems with the strategy of the organisation, enhanced leadership involvement in the management system and the importance of risk-based thinking. ISO 14001 further addresses environmental protection, improving environmental performance and lifecycle thinking.
The deadlines for transitioning to the new certification standards ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 are fast approaching. The new standards pose challenges for certified organisations, certifiers and accreditation systems.
In line with the upgraded standards JAS-ANZ will be targeting key areas as part of the assessment process. We will be looking to ensure:
- all Conformity Assessment Body (CAB) audit programmes, plans and reports reflect a process-based approach,
- CABs have trained and adequately informed their auditors on the demands of the process-based audit,
- CABs’ planning and scheduling systems recognise and have implemented the latest IAF resolution that states:
“as of 15 March 2018, conformity assessment bodies must conduct all ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 initial, surveillance and recertification audits to the new versions - ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015.”,
- all existing ISO 9001:2008 certifications have expiry dates before the deadline 15 September 2018; and
- CAB auditors focus their efforts on:
- observing operations,
- discussing processes with personnel; and
- reviewing records as the output of a process, but not as the sole determinant of compliance with the standard.
To confirm implementation JAS-ANZ:
- has amended its witnessing template requiring that a specific comment is made as to whether the witness auditor has undertaken the audit from a process-based focus,
- will specifically look for evidence that auditors have been trained in process-based techniques and that the CAB has evaluated the effectiveness of the training,
- will review in detail planning and scheduling activities to ensure that all audits from the 15 March 2018 are against the 2015 versions of the standards.
To assist CABs in undertaking process-based assessments the ISO 9001 Auditing Practices Group has updated their guidance on process and process-based auditing.