The Freshcare Scheme is an on-farm scheme established by the Australian horticultural industry to meet customer requirements for food safety and quality, in both domestic and international markets. The success of the scheme is demonstrated through the large number of horticultural businesses that have gained certification since its inception, and its acceptance by major Australian retailers to work with the Harmonised Australian Retailer Produce Scheme (HARPS).
The Freshcare scheme uses two certification standards:
- Freshcare Code of Practice – Food Safety and Quality (Specifies good agricultural practice for on-farm)
- Freshcare Food Safety and Quality – Supply Chain Standard (for handling, packaging, storage and transport of fresh produce)
The Freshcare scheme also promotes three additional industry Codes of Practice which are not certification standards:
- Freshcare Code of Practice – Environmental
- Freshcare Code of Practice – Environmental Viticulture
- Freshcare Code of Practice – Environmental Winery
Copies of these documents are available through the Freshcare website.
This Scheme offers many benefits including:
- Promoting the implementation of good agricultural practice on-farm;
- Assisting growers in meeting customer requirements for food safety and quality;
- The Freshcare Scheme is one of two schemes recognised by HARPS, which is a retailer-led scheme designed to assist with compliance to regulatory and trade requirements for the supply of goods to the retail sector in Australia, which includes food safety standards, consumer law and trade legislation; and
- Meeting customer requirements for both domestic and international markets.
The Freshcare Scheme is 'owned' by a number of peak industry bodies, a list of which is available from the Freshcare website (click here).
An application pack, application form and other relevant material is not available on this site. These documents are available through our SharePoint portal. If you are a body that we currently accredit, you can access this information through the Shared CAB Portal. If you are a new applicant, please complete an application enquiry form. Once this form is submitted, the Secretariat will contact you to advise the next steps. For other stakeholders, please submit your inquiry through the online feedback form.