The scheme is based on AS/NZS 5377:2013 - Collection, storage, transport and treatment of end-of-life electrical and electronic equipment. The scheme was developed by the Australian Government Department of the Environment and the New Zealand Ministry of Environment to provide a uniform approach to assessing e-waste management systems. The scheme caters to four discrete activities in the e-waste industry, reflected in sections 2-5 of AS/NZS 5377. These are:
- Requirements for collection and storage facilities–Section 2
- Recovery for reuse from end-of-life electrical and electronic equipment – Section 3
- Requirements for transportation – Section 4
- Requirements for the treatment of end-of-life electrical and electronic equipment – Section 5.
Clients may undertake one or more activities and seek certification against only those sections of AS/NZS 5377 which apply.
Applicant CABs will need to comply with E-waste Scheme - Requirements for bodies certifying systems for managing the collection, storage, transport and treatment of end-of-life electrical and electronic equipment.
As a management systems scheme, applicants also need to comply with ISO/IEC 17021:2011 – Conformity Assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems.
- Provides a framework for organisations to implement an effective e-waste management system.
- Reduces the hazards associated with e-waste management and provides assurance that regulatory requirements are being met.
- Promotes e-waste management best practice and reinforces good e-waste management behaviours.
Department of the Environment and New Zealand Ministry of Environment.
An application pack, application form and other relevant material is not available on this site. These documents are available through our SharePoint portal. If you are a body that we currently accredit, you can access this information through the Shared CAB Portal. If you are a new applicant, please complete an application enquiry form. Once this form is submitted, the Secretariat will contact you to advise the next steps. For other stakeholders, please submit your inquiry through the online feedback form.